Economics of rebuilding grands

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Mon, 09 Aug 1999 10:54:12 PDT

Hi Brian and List!

As Brian said:
>As I have progressed in the detail of work I'm doing, I have tended to put
>more into the pianos I do parts wise.  But when you do that, the hours
>needed to 'refurbish' all those old parts are significantly diminished as
>well.

My take on this question:

As we work our perspective changes and our valuations get raised; better
parts are more expensive, but we find out that they are worth every penny in
terms of the results and the amount of effort necessary to make the piano
sound and play the way it should to give our customers the experience of
beauty they are looking forward to when they sit down to play.  Obviously
some pianos are not worth this and some customers cannot afford it.

The best thing I discovered in learning this work was to acquire for myself
the best piano I could possibly manage to have so that my own sights could
be raised to a higher level.  My partner and I lived in a shack, bought
clothes from Goodwill, but purchased a Kawai GS30 brand new (on time).  That
piano taught us a lot, (regulated, tuned and voiced it regularly), and when
a customer begged to buy it, we sold it for more than we paid for it and
purchased a Kawai GS 50 used, needing about $2,000 worth of work (which by
then I knew how to do), netted $3,000 profit on the exchange and have a
piano we love even more.

Since I have never worked for a store where there are a lot of new pianos to
play, I needed this piano so I could understand what quality IS.