Economics of rebuilding grands ...Roger

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:19:44 -0400

Hi Roger,

Re: M&H,
I guess it would make a difference what is going in.  It got a new set =
of keytops/fronts, keys rebushed, rebedded, sharps refinished, and a new =
set of hammers which were from Schaff. And, of course, regulated.  =
(Schaff hammers need some work, but I've usually had pretty good luck =
with getting a nice sound out of them.)  Someone had already done some =
action work on the piano when we got it.  It appeared to have had a new =
set of knuckles and a pretty thorough replacement of a lot of the action =
felts.   =20

The keytops/fronts were done by Walker Piano... $125  (we did the =
rebushing ourselves)
Rebedding the keybed... is $15.00 of materials a reasonable number?
A set of Schaff hammers... about $150

But lets say for the sake of argument that we did go ahead and spend =
$1500 for action parts.  Does that mean we didn't make any money on the =
job?  Not by a long shot.  (I would actually have rather spent more on =
this job, but I'm not the guy who made that decision.) =20

As I have progressed in the detail of work I'm doing, I have tended to =
put more into the pianos I do parts wise.  But when you do that, the =
hours needed to 'refurbish' all those old parts are significantly =
diminished as well. =20

As for a few other aspects of the job...

Soundboard and ribs... North Hudson  around $575 (includes shipping)
Bridge materials... (guessing) $25 (Also from North Hudson)
Damper felt...(Apsco) $35 ?
All refinishing supplies, (Mohawk, W.Wordak, Decals Unlimited) $250, =
(includes decals)
Tuning pins...(Apsco) $65 ?

I'm guessing on some of these numbers, as I don't have all of the actual =
costs in front of me.  But I think I'm in the 'ball park'.

Perhaps for those who go Renner all the way, costs would be =
significantly higher.  I have not taken that step yet.  I have used =
Renner parts on occasion.  They are beautiful.  They are expensive.  As =
are Hamburg S&S parts, beautiful and expensive.  But if I can spend a =
few hundred dollars on parts, and a few hours of time to make an old =
action into one that plays very, very well, I don't feel ashamed that I =
haven't put on all new Renner parts.  (There are exceptions, ...I'm too =
tired to get into every conceivable circumstance...)  'Used' pianos are =
a lot like used cars... they're all a little different.  Some need more, =
some need less. =20

Just my take from this angle.  Thanks for sharing some of your =
perspective as well.  I look forward to hearing from more people.  No =
doubt, we all have a slightly different view.  :-)

Have a good day.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net