Rebuilding

Clark Sprague csprague@richnet.net
Sun, 08 Aug 1999 23:22:12 -0400

List,
    I also have two under 6' grands to consider rebuilding.  One, my wife's
favorite, is a 1937 A> B> Chase from Norwalk, Ohio.  The board is pretty good,
but it has wrapped bass strings just after the break that are the old style (is
it steel wrapped?) that just sound awful.  It needs a pinblock, repin, restring,
new hammers, and regulate.  People have said that this is a good one, however my
wife threatens to divorce me if I sell this piano.
     I also have in my sights a 30s vintage Baldwin, that needs a complete job,
minus the soundboard.  This one needs an action rebuild as well, as there is
mold or something on the hammer shanks.
     Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on the "rebuildability" of these
instruments?  Which one would be the best one to keep, and which one to sell (as
I build my skills, as well) ?  Which one would be the best one to start on,
considering that I have never done a pinblock?
Clark Sprague
Associate, Cleveland Chapter