Lester grand

VOCE88@AOL.COM VOCE88@AOL.COM
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 20:05:14 EDT

In a message dated 8/8/1999 12:30:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jformsma@dixie-net.com writes:

> Hi List:
>
>  I would appreciate any input on the "rebuildability" and "resaleability" of
>  a 1953 Lester grand piano.  I think it is around 6 feet (didn't
>  measure--just tuned it today), and desperately needs a new pinblock.  This
>  is the first one that I've seen, and, since I have no previous experience
>  with this piano...I thought I'd take advantage of the expertise of the
list.
>  :-)
>
>  What I was thinking about doing was rebuilding it to get some experience
>  with rebuilding--then trying to sell it.
>
>  Your thoughts are much appreciated.
>
>  John Formsma

Hi John -

I work with Cunningham Piano Co in Philly. 2 of our best techs. got their
start with Lester - they went out of business in 1961 - when the factory
burned down. Although they built some very respectable 6 ft. grands into the
1930's, I had no knowledge of them building them into the '50s. I was under
the impression that they made their money making MANY of the Betsy Ross
spinets at that time. (To the exclusion of almost everything else)

BTW, we have rebuilt Lester 6 ft. grands from the 1930's and almost always
got a very nice product.

Good Luck
Richard Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co