Tightening pinblock and rim screws

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 13:40:03 EDT

Hi Brian,
inre tightening screws:
> What is
>everybody else using? There has got to be a better mouse trap, if you
>know what I mean...

    I went through this early on,  and finally decided to have the right
tool.  I got a Craftsman 3/8" drive T-handle and a 6" extension, five sockets
and then two screwdriver bits from the Snap-On truck.  (Oh, they cost, but
they last).
   This allows me to safely tighten everything.  I will add that you should
only tighten the screws in the summer, since they will be looser in the
winter, but if tightened then, the summer expansion will crush fibers against
the screw threads, and next winter, you will have looseness again.  It took
me several years to realise I  was just slowing turning bolts in the threads,
year by year.......
Good luck,
Ed Foote
(High quality tools are the best investment a working craftsperson can buy!)