Tightening pinblock and rim screws

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 12:02:34 -0500 (CDT)

>I wanted to ask a question about tightening pinblock and rim plate
>screws. I have been using a phillips and/or flat head screw driver bit
>that you can fit into your tuning hammer.
>
>Thanks!
>Brian Janey, Fallbrook, CA
>San Diego County PTG Chapter

Hi Brian,
I carry a big flat blade bit made for the old hand brace, ground to fit my
hammer tip. For the big Phillips, I went to a local surplus and salvage yard
(buys from the extensive local aircraft industry) and bought the biggest
Phillips bit I could find. Cost around a buck. I took it home and cut it
shorter, taking off the big hex shank end, and ground four flats tapered to
fit my hammer tip. Finding that I also needed an intermediate size Phillips,
I went back, found what I wanted, and modified the shank to work.

That said, I'd like to caution you on the use of these tools. The act of
tightening plate screws with each tuning is more destructive than it is
beneficial. The seasonal humidity cycles swell the plate support dowels,
blocks, or whatever, and crush them against the plate, giving the tuner the
impression that the screw has come loose. The tuner tightens, the supports
crush, tighten, crush, tighten, crush, etc. It's not really a fix, and
actually causes future problems. It couldn't hurt to check the plate screws
and bolts of a piano the first time you tune it, and snug them down as
necessary, but it needn't, and shouldn't be done on a yearly basis. Also,
tight = snug, not cranked down to where the head is deformed. Just a light
pressure on the plate is enough. I've not seen any evidence that loose plate
screws contribute to tuning instability, so there's really no reason to keep
tightening them. Do the bench legs instead, they probably need it more.

 Ron N