Smith-Coleman/QUESTION

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 00:11:47 -0500

Joe,

I also attended Virgil Smith's class, and was very glad I did.  His method
of "cracking the unison" comes in handy, too.

I haven't checked to see about the pure fifth (and I hope Dr. Coleman will
help us out with your specific question), but there are tests to see whether
or not a fifth is pure.  When I have tuned the "Pure 5th" temperament, they
have been *relatively* pure after the unisons were tuned.  (I.e., if there
were beats, they were very slow.)  Virgil's fifths after the unisons were
tuned were not pure.  What he said about his fourths and fifths is that they
are even throughout the entire keyboard.  I don't remember him testing
octaves with fourths and fifths, either. As I recall, he used 3rds and
10ths, etc. outward from the temperament.

Here are the pure fifth checks as listed in Jorgensen's Big Red book:

minor 3rd played above lower note beats the same as major 3rd played below
upper note.

Example: testing C3-G3 5th; C3-Eb3 beats same as Eb3-G3

Or,

major 6th played below lower note beats the same as major 10th played below
upper note.

Example: testing C3-G3 5th; Eb2-C3 beats same as Eb2-G3

Piano tuning is really fascinating!  I greatly marvel at all the hard work
the experts have put into the science behind tuning theory, and then give it
away so freely.  What a great field to be in!  May we all improve each
other.

John Formsma