Spinet Keys

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Sat, 07 Aug 1999 07:14:46 -0400

I never ran into this problem, but I spent some time thinking about it.
Certainly the easiest and best, in my opinion, is to find and glue on
the missing parts, if they are still in the piano somewhere.

In spite of today's strong glues, it looks like trouble to me to just
cut the key off straight across and glue another piece on, endgrain to
endgrain.  But it _might_ work.

I think I would square up the tip, keeping as much of the original wood
as possible, and glue in a new piece, then match the old configuation
with drill and saw.  I would also clamp other wood to the sides while
drilling or it may just split out again.  This doesn't look too hard,
but it will take a little time in the shop.  It should result in a very
professional repair, but no, it wouldn't be cheap.

Clyde Hollinger