Old Knabe Pinblocks

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Fri, 06 Aug 1999 08:22:00 -0500

I had a situation similar to this with an old Beckstein.  Those of you
who have seen these know what I mean- open faced, sloped block, shaped
front, mitered into the case, the works.  This piano was ebony so
whatever you did to the case would disappear under the finish anyway.
Hears the way it was explained to me:  "It is lumber, not brain
surgery on the president", (as quoted by the tech who helped me on the
project).  Hear was our solution: Measure and make a pattern pattern
of EVERYTHING.  A slotted portion of the sides where the block meets
the case were sawn out.  The old stretcher was removed and tossed.
After mating the new block to the plate flange the block was fitted,
glued and doweled into the piano.  A new stretcher was made, and the
portion of the sides that were cut were replaced with new pin block
material, glued and doweled into the case.  When finished it was like
new- perhaps even a little better than new with the higher quality
block.  The fit was absolutely perfect.  Since this was an ebony piano
a couple coats of sanding sealer filled in the areas between the new
material and the old.  By the time it was refinished you would have
never known that it was replaced except for the new open faced block.
Again I'll repeat- it is only lumber.  Take it slow, do it right, and
it will last  another hundred years.  If you screw up you can start
over.  This might get expensive but it will be right.

Rob Goodale, RPT