Stupid Stuff

Carol R. Beigel carolb@earthlink.net
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:42:47 -0400

I have a stupid "shop" story as well.  I had purchased a Steinway M grand
that was missing some case parts, including the top lid.  I ordered a new
one, unfinished, from Steinway. When it arrived, I was shocked to learn that
I had to cut it into two pieces and cut cut the bevel for the hinge, and
install the cross bar myself!  I spent days planning and measuring the cut.
I bought a saw and blade just for this purpose.  I purchased a special
router bit.  I plotted and I planned!  Then came the day I had to actually
make the cut.  Somehow, I forgot that I was right-handed, and had started
the cut from the Bass side.  I couldn't reach quite all the way to the
treble side, and since I was alone, without proper support for BOTH sides of
the lid, the weight of the pieces pushed the saw cut off at an angle for the
last three inches. Man, I sure wished they had let girls take "shop" when I
was in high school!  Thank goodness for Bondo!

Carol Beigel, RPT
Greenbelt, Maryland