Old Knabe Pinblocks

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:32:52 EDT

In a message dated 8/05/1999 10:35:13 PM, btrout@desupernet.net writes:

<<"I'm not convinced that to use a bunch of plugs would be a good long term
repair.">>

Well now Brian lets think about this for a minute, OK?
 If you are replacing the pinblock because the layers are split or because of
delamination that is one thing...and by all means replace the block.  If
however the reason to replace the block is because the pin holes are too big
and you don't want to use oversize pins......perhaps we have a different
problem and need to think about it differently.

  What is the problem "specifically' with using plugs?
When well fitted and glued with an appropiate glue shouldn't plugs give as
good service as a new block for at least as long as the new block?
If not why not?

  Why aren't plugs used all the time? I don't use them often because drying
block material/cutting/fitting/gluing/leveling plugs takes an extraordinary
amount of time. I don't like any of the ready made plugs I have tried so I
make my own and they are a pain.  Having said that.....if I were faced with a
very complicated sloped/bowed/angled installation that was mortised 'into'
the case and stretcher, and the block 'was' good except for hole size, I
would not automatically rule out using plugs on the entire block. Most pin
blocks, including S&S's most tortuous ones, are much faster to just install a
new block. Some blocks such as the one you have described just 'might' be a
candidate for plugs, in my opinion, don't just summarily dimiss the thingees
out of hand.
Jim Bryant (FL)