Historical Temperaments

Dan M. Hallett, Jr.. dhalle@toolcity.net
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 22:42:25 -0400

Dear List:

I just received information (via BMG classical Record Service =
Newsletter) that Yo-Yo Ma has recorded and released a recording of Bach =
selections and Boccherini concertos performed with the Amsterdam Baroque =
Orchestra, Tom Koopman conducting.

According to the brochure, he modified his 1712 Strad cello by removing =
the endpin, replaced the standard bridge with a thicker, Baroque styled =
bridge (giving the fingerboard a different feel), used gut strings and a =
baroque bow, and tuned the instrument differently (the article does not =
say how).

Ma called the result "a warmer and more relaxed sound...Suddenly you get =
a different world of sound - a whole world of expressivity, of color.

The reviewer said that it is indeed ear-opening.

I haven't ordered it yet, but with the many discussions of historical =
tunings on the list, I thought many would find it interesting that we =
are not the only experimenters and likers of alternate tunings.

Dan Hallett, Jr. RPT