Let's hear it!

CDeets@AOL.COM CDeets@AOL.COM
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 14:31:28 EDT

In a message dated 8/3/99 8:16:39 PM Central Daylight Time, A440A@aol.com
writes:

<<  A recent posting indicates that there are lurkers about.  Technicians
 that are possibly in training, apprentice positions, and others new enough
 the trade so that they don't feel they have something to contribute.  >>

OK,

A lurker I am.

Here is my $.02.  This rookie associate has recently stumbled onto a glue,
that does a superb job on plastic keytop replacements.  Maybe others have
already been using this, I don't know, but here goes.

Elmer's makes a premium quality neoprene based contact cement, that is easy
to work with.  I have used it on 3 sets of keys without any problems.  (Same
$3 dollar jar, and I still have a third left over) Advantages are 1) It has
no odor!  (The other contact cements send me to the moon) I can use it
without ventilation, although the label says to do so.  2) It dries quickly,
and is transparent when dry (slightly blue in color when wet), parts are
ready to stick together in about 10 minutes.  3) It cleans up with water.  4)
It doesn't attack the keytop.  Conventional contact cements will start to eat
the plastic.  If you accidentally spill some on the top, it will rub off
clean.  5) It is strong.

I generally put glue on about 12 keys and keytops.  By the time I get to the
12th, I can go back and start putting parts together.  Then on to the next
12.  No clamping required.  Give it a try.

Craig Deets, Associate member
Chicago Chapter