Damper Problem... the story

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 20:52:16 -0400

Hi List,

Just thought I'd let you know how my long distance damper problem turned =
out.

When I arrived, there was one damper that had come out of it's =
underlever assembly.  The rest were intact.  I did notice that the =
damper wire was none too long, so I did a little sampling of the rest of =
the wires as well, and found them all to be a little on the short side, =
but functional nonetheless.  They were quite uneven in length from one =
to the next.  So, what to do?  Well, it was pretty close to a 3 hour =
drive one way, so I decided that whatever I did, it had better count.   =
I ended up taking the time to put a little thicker felt blocks on the =
back of the keys, probably 1/8"+, and raising the underlevers and damper =
upstop rail a similar distance.=20

All in all, it was a really easy job, and I worried much too much about =
it.  While I was there, I did do a few little extra things with the =
regulation and such, just to make it a little nicer. =20

It plays pretty well, and I have confidence that it's fixed.  It's =
interesting to see how far my work has progressed over the past two =
years though.  I saw quite a number of things that I'd do differently, =
and better, if I could do it again.  Chalk it up to experience, I guess. =
 :-)

So that's it. (The short version, that is.) Thanks for all the advice.

Appreciatively,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.
btrout@desupernet.net