query: bass string design

Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:42:07 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Coleman, Sr. <pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu>
To: John Gunderson <jgunderson@monmouth.com>
Cc: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, August 02, 1999 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: query: bass string design

> Hi John:
>
> One of the limitations is that imposed by the string winders. They are
often
> not willing to put such large wrap on so small a diamter core. For this,
> you may have to go to Dave Sanderson's triple wrapped strings.
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr.

----------------------------

John,

I agree with Jim.  This is stretching the limit some.  Using a 0.51" core, a
0.31" inner wrap and a 0.84" outer wrap would give a 0.270" o/a diameter
(approximately.)  I've done this, but it is difficult.  Yes, you could get
there using a triple wrapped string, but I fail to see the benefit.  I've
done those as well, but I don't think you'll like the tone.  It's going to
be pretty stiff.

Back off to about 0.250" to 0.260" o/a and be happy with what you get.
Sometimes what looks good on paper doesn't work out all that well in real
life.

Del