Damper problem... any advise?

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 22:02:01 -0400

Hi List,

I have to go on a service call tomorrow.  It's a piano I've seen before. =
 I did a 'recondition' job on it about 2 years ago.  It's a 5'2" Haines =
Bros. grand.  Overall, the customer is very happy with the piano.  But =
here's what happened.

Owner bought the piano, and moved 150 miles away.  Unfortunately, I've =
not been able to glean much useful information from his 'local piano =
tuner'.  It was his opinion that the "damper wires were too short".  =
Evidently, there was one damper wire that broke about 1 year from =
purchase date which the local tuner fixed.  (I assume.)  Now, 6 months =
later, another damper is "just sitting there on the string, and not =
raising when the note is played".  But 'local tuner' doesn't want to fix =
it, or can't fix it, but is not otherwise going to be working on it.  So =
I've been volunteered.

I couldn't get a good answer from the 'local tuner' as to just what is =
going on.  Only that in his opinion, it'll keep on happening.

My question is, do any of you have any advise as to what would be good =
to take along?  So far, I'll be taking my tool box, various sizes and =
thickness' of bushing cloth, felt punchings, felt rolls, flanges, damper =
wires, the little brass barrel type inserts, cordless drill & bits, =
several clamps, lots of small hand tools, my CA (of course)...  About =
the only thing I couldn't locate was extra underlevers.  Not having a =
good description of the problem doesn't help, but I only have what I =
told you to go on.

Any thoughts out there would be well received.  I know it's short =
notice, but...

Thanks,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.