More on Tight pins

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 18:55:14 -0500

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input on the tight Kawai pins.
unfortunately it is too late to consider many of the
suggestions regarding what to do before restringing, but I
will keep them in mind for the future.  As far as this
specimen goes, however, I am still scratching my head.
Someone suggested that the pins were probably 1/0 to start
with.  This is not the case, as I always carefully measure
them before I start a job.  Never assume anything is my
rule.  The idea of leaving it alone for awhile to see what
happens might have some merit, although I know that time
will never make it perfect, only perhaps better.  One thing
that I should mention is that many pins are still a bit
high.  I have not yet gone through and leveled them all.
Two thoughts cross my mind on this one.  First, lowering the
pins will likely make them even tighter.  Yuk.  The second
consideration, however, is that there will probably be less
twisting and flex in the pin, thus this may improve it's
tuneability.  Any opinions?  Lastly, I am still wondering
about the idea of heating the pins a bit to see if it
irons/compresses the pins a little.  Has anyone ever tried
this?

Thanks,

Rob Goodale, RPT