Tight and Squeaky Tuning Pins

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 14:07:43 -0400

Robert, you have a problem.

I tuned a early Young Chang I sold into a Broadway pit several years
ago.  The stringer came when I was not there and repined the piano
with 3/0 instead of the 2/0 I wanted because he didn't know where to
look for the pins and used the ones he did find.  My error.  That
piano was a royal pain in the shoulder and neck for as long as I tuned
it, weekly for about four years.

Kawai uses 1/0 pins in the factory.  Going to a 1/0 to a 4/0 is one
giant step.

> (I would rather see slightly tight pins than marginally tight since this will ensure long lasting tunability over the years).

I disagree with this statement.  If a tuning pin can be made to stay
in tune it is tight enough.  As you know too tight pins are far more a
problem.

I would suggest repinning it with 3/0s if you are going to be the one
tuning it for the next several years.

	`	Newton