Torches and passings

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 01:39:18 -0500

It is a shock to hear of Sheldon Smith passing from us.

I had heard much more about him, than I knew him personally. I  met him only twice,
both times at his shop in Berkeley Ca.  I can't remember why I was there the first
time execpt that I think I flat out invited myself over. He had a top  notch
reputation in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I was in my fifth or sixth year and the
the slightest pretext to phone him came up, and sure enough, I was welcome to stop
by.  A really nice person, seemed only 10 years older than me.  Struck me
as the saying goes, "calm, cool, and collected."

	The second time was  rather serious.  I broke a bass string on a C7 that was to be
used for a show that evening.  Fortunatly Sheldon happened to be in his shop on a
Saturday afternoon. I needed to tie the string, (F1) but I didn't have the right
size wire for the leader, and ... I had forgotten how to tie. He had the right size
and could show me the knot.  What a relief.  When I got there I was still distraught
over breaking the string in the first place. He was very consoling. "You didn't
break the string, " he said, "It broke when you let it down" (I was letting it down
so I could twist it because it was buzzing.) Even when I confessed I thought I let
it down too fast he was adamant it was ready to break no matter what. That certainly
eased my anxiety. He tutored me for a half hour practicing tying piano wire.  He
even gave me a pre-formed loop which worked perfectly. I owed him big time so I
offered to do something like clean up the shop or chip a couple of pianos.  He said
with a smile, "Thanks I might call you in a couple of weeks."
	Sure enough about a week later he called and asked if I wanted to tune at
Zellerbach, UC Berkeley's concert hall.  "Bill them your fee and they will pay you".
Afterwards when the stage manager asked me if I was available because "Sheldon is so
hard to get" I got worried I might have "cut  his fee", and  also Sheldon had the UC
Berkeley contract. So next day I phoned him and he said to take the calls if I
wanted, they were  extra to the contract, and he was happy to spread it around.

	As one technician I am thankful.  From what I have heard there are many many
others,
	and thus our memories are with those who have gone before us.....

Richard Moody