Tight and Squeaky Tuning Pins

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 15:41:19 EDT

In a message dated 8/01/1999 3:16:44 PM, Rob wrote:

<<My test indicated
that 4/0 pins would do very nicely.  Slightly tight but not
excessive, >>
&
<<"Having completed the stringing I am now finding that the pins are
excessively tight, tighter than my pre stringing tests.">>

Rob;
  Several thoughts come to mind.....First did you try your test pins
immediately after driving or did you allow them to rest for a while?  I would
'guess' that you tested them right after driving.  For reasons I don't
understand, and will not try to explain, a freshly driven pin will be
'looser' than the same pin allowed to sit for several hours before trying it.
  Secondly, I have discovered that using a little varnish does help in
repinning without reboring but even then the holes should be cleaned via
brush/air on a upright.  It takes faith that the pins in a varnish treated
hole 'will' be tight when the varnish dries, as right after the pin insertion
the pin will feel looser than you might like.

When the varnish dries the pins will very closely approximate any dry fit
'test' pins and as a side benefit there will be very litlle jumpiness.  Too
late for this one though and perhaps others will have a different take.
Jim Bryant (FL)