Need a Technician in MN.

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 01:24:33 EDT

Kit:

A real "overhaul" of this piano will require removing the plate - especially
if there are serious pinblock or soundboard problems;  some early Steinway
uprights require removal of the cabinet sides to get the plate out.   Have a
good look (use a good light) at the tubular rails - the brass may be
splitting.  This will require replacement and resoldering (can be sent out to
do if needed - someone is advertising this in the Journal, I think).  The new
action parts available are excellent, as Roger points out;  make sure you
match the wippen up well.  A "museum" restoration would save all parts and
rebush, repin, rebuckskin and refelt as needed (someone was also talking
about steaming out the dent in the wippen cushion - never done that, but it
sounds interesting).  The birdseyes can be resized/gluesized for a smaller
centerpin in rebushing, if necessary.  A good resource is Wally Brooks, who
has the parts, I believe, and also has rebuilt many of these.  Some of the
old uprights have sostenutos which are a big headache until you learn to
efficiently remove the hammer rest rail and sostenuto mechanism for
regulating the action (then they are a small headache).  Good luck!

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
Loma Linda, CA

<< List:

 I need a technician in or near Albert Lea, Minnesota to look at a piano
 that the owner is trying to sell me.  Names, email addresses and/or phone
 numbers would be helpful.

 The owner tells me it is a 113 year old 52" Steinway upright.  He tells me
 the action needs an overhaul.  As a technician I've "overhauled" a number
 of pianos but have no experience with a Steinway of this vintage.  Anything
 I should know that might influence my purchase of this piano?

 Thanks for your help
 Kit Cleworth