CA Glue & Cracked Pin Block

paulmcrpt@juno.com paulmcrpt@juno.com
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:13:49 -0400

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:01:04 -0700 (PDT) David Pritchard
<musicbydavid@yahoo.com> writes:
>Hi!
>
>I am a newer technician and just found out about this
>list.
>
>I suspect a cracked pin block on a piano I'll be
>repairing on Friday.  (About five pins in a line which
>are extremely loose)  I was told by another technician
>to use CA glue for the repair.  I ordered the CA Glue
>kit, but the examples of uses doesn't specifically
>refer to repairing a cracked pin block.
>
>I would appreciate a walk through of the repair
>process (including which glue and tip to use) by
>someone who has performed this repair in the past.
>The piano is an old Winter & Company Musette
>(Spinett).
>
>Thanks
>
>David Pritchard
>Lyman, NE
>===
>
>The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a
>Macintosh.

Hi David,

After lengthy discussion on this list a few weeks back about CA glue for
pinblocks I decided to try it.  I did so on an old failing Lester grand
with individual scattered failures.  Some fixed up fine, but some did
not.  I discovered that a separation in the laminations, which I did not
see earlier, existed in the bass in a place where as you describe all of
the pins in a line were loose.  This is where CA did not fix the problem.
 The thin glue will penetrate, but then run along the plane of the
separation and harden without accomplishing much of anything.  I doubt
that the medium would penetrate far enough to do any good.  The Winter
spinet that you mention would have to be tipped on its back to use CA.
If you are a beginning tech., you may not have the special tilter to do
this yet.  My recommendation in this case would be to replace the failing
pins with oversize ones, probably 4/0.  There will be many other good
uses for the CA kit that you purchased.

Paul McMillin, RPT
Carlisle, PA