Steinway L

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:44:09 -0700

Patrick Greene wrote:

> HI List,
>
> I am slated to tune a Steinway L circa 1941 next week.  Never having tuned
> a grand what should I expect?

It's kind of like driving a floor shift after learning on a column
shift. Same thing only you need to translate the techniques you learned
on the one to the other. Oh, you knew that! Well, then I guess I'll move
along to the particulars.

There are a variety of techniques and no "right" way to do it. If you
can achieve a good, stable tuning, that's the main thing. To minimize
flagpolling, I like to point the wrench away from me, around one or two
o'clock (although I'm seriously considering starting my day earlier!
;-)  I face toward the bass end somewhat so that I don't strain my back.
If you're short, you might like to tune standing up, taller persons
might prefer sitting on the left end of the bench.

Tuning in the last octave has the problem of the lid stick getting in
the way of the tuning wrench. You can either switch to working
left-handed or change to a long tip which permits you to clear the rim.
I like the idea of leaving the stick down and propping the lid with a
substitute prop, cushioned on both ends and placed a few inches towards
the tail to give you some clearance. (This stick comes in handy when
you're tuning a "baby" grand that has a very short stick.) But, lacking
any of the above, I sometimes will reach around the lid prop and tune in
the 11 or 12 o'clock position, standing to the right of the keyboard.

Another technique I've seen in books is to point the wrench at you,
probably with a longer-than-normal tip. This has the advantage of not
interfering with lid props or walls.

You will find muting much easier, especially if you like to strip mute
the entire piano. No tight spots in the treble trying to keep rubber
mutes out of the way of the hammers.

Repairs would be different of course and I won't go into that here. Have
fun with the Steinway. My first grand was some no-name 5-footer with a
cracked pin block (this was a little before CA glue) so you can consider
yourself fortunate.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT