dancing dampers

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 15:54:09 -0400

>  Could it hurt?  I'm open to suggestions.

I would suggest not doing that, it will make it difficult for the next
person that has to do this work and it might be you.

If you remove a damper you will likely find that the wire has a spline
at the end.  These are parallel lines stamped into the wire to help it
"not move".  I have found splined wires more problematical than
regular wire.

What you need to do it to tighten those screws with a pair of pliers,
parallel jaw, gas or even unlocked vise grips.  A quick twist of the
wrist should od.  After tightening one use the pliers to twist the
wire so it aligns perfectly with the strings and does not move or
twist when it lifts out of unison.  If the wire turns easily you will
need to twist the screw tighter.  After doing a few you will know how
tight to make them all.

Do not do anything to a piano that you cannot undo or that you KNOW is
the best and proper way to do something.  This includes lubricants,
glues, different parts or unusual procedures.

		Newton