dancing dampers

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:37:52 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Brenda,

   Welcome out of the lurker's closet. Join the fray. :-)

>I've been a quiet lurker since last December.  I have enjoyed following
>the discussions and have gotten some great  ideas from the group,
>thanks.

   You'll probably get some other suggestions but the only thing I can
think of is that you're simply not tightening the set screws enough.
That's all I can think of that would make them do that. I frequently
have the same problem on Kawai grands. All that's wrong is that the
screws are not quite tight enough.
   And please, as far as I'm concerned, that is NOT a place for CA glue.
That's treating the symptom, not the problem. Besides, the next tech
behind you, or maybe even you yourself, will develop some new words to
describe how he/she feels when those wires need to be taken out again:
 new felts, restringing, whatever.
   Don't go overboard but don't be afraid to tighten down on the screws
a little more. If the dampers twist a little, which they usually will,
get a pair of pliers, place them on the wire right above the underlever
and twist in the direction needed to make them travel straight.
   Hope this helps.

Avery