Straube grand (story attached)

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 07:12:07 -0400

Ron and list,

I service one of these.  I wish I knew its age but I couldn't find a
serial number anywhere.  The pinblock is shot, and overall it's got a
lot of needs.  The family also has a nice Yamaha P2 studio piano, and I
suggested to the wife they may want to sell the two pianos and buy a
nice grand. She told me this story.

The husband is a youngish attorney and and auctioneer.  He bought this
grand one time at an auction because it sold for so much less than he
thought it was worth.  Some time later his first wife was killed, hit by
a car while jogging along the road.  To console himself the
grief-stricken attorney would sit at this piano and play.  His second
wife told me there is no way the family will ever part with that piano,
regardless of its condition, because of the role it played in her
husband's life.

I don't remember if I mentioned to them the possibility of a rebuild.
It looks like it would cost considerably more, with the three planes of
strings.

Clyde Hollinger