Tapered pins versus Planned Obsolescence

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 03:58:15 EDT

I just finished tapping the tapered tuning pins on a 1916 Vose and Sons big
old upright. The pins went from below 20  in/lbs to 50 in/lbs by tapping then
in only 1/16", and the piano was easily tuned, and it held just great! ( I
did not treat the pins, and there is a lot of pin left to tap)

In my opinion,  using tapered tuning pins in the modern piano would be so
easy to do, and would so greatly improve the instrument's longevity (and
possible stability problems when young) that failure to do so must be
intentional "Planned Obsolescence."   I look forward to the first
manufacturer to offer this feature.  I can surely recommend it.

Any  thoughts?

Bill Simon
Phoenix