rebuild

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:45:09 EDT

Inre pinblock plugs,
Richard writes:
>Interesting. I seem to remember reading once that there was a concern about
>slipage.

Greetings,
   The Geers method that Tony showed me was to drill out alternating holes,
plugging them, and then drilling the remaining ones in between them.  There
is little chance of slippage with the proper glue.
   One Steinway D I take care had the last three tuning pin holes so close to
the  plate that the pins were held by metal to metal contact for the first
year, then they went south all at once.  I opened the plate-hole just enough
to clear the hole in the block and a 4/0 pin would drop into the block!  This
 was a new piano.
    I drilled a 3/8" hole through the block for each note and then used
Resourcinol glue to glue Falcon wood plug in the holes.  Two days later, I
hand-drilled for 2/0, put in 3/0 pins, and they have held for 18 years now.
This is an often tuned instrument, and one pin is just now getting a little
loose feeling.  I consider it to have been a good repair, and will go to 4/0
with another string if necessary.
Regards,
Ed Foote