rebuild

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 00:37:34 EDT

greeneguy@mindspring.com writes:

<< Hello Ya'll,

 I have a customer who wants an old beat up upright that has "great
 sentimental value" to be rebuilt.  I am guessing that this would cost over
 a thousand dollars just to put in a new pinblock and restring.  Am I
 guessing correctly?

 Patrcik >>

Removing a pin block from an upright is a very difficult job. If a new pin
block is needed, it might be easier to route out the old webbing area and
drop in pin block panels in the routed out sections.

To string an upright, (without a new pin block) takes about 10 hours. The
process of routing out and replacing pin block panels, (although I have never
done it) will probably take about 10 - 12 hours. (more if you have never done
it before). I don't know how much you charge per hour, but a $50 per hour,
you should be quoting at least $1000 - $1200 plus another $500 for the cost
of the pin block material, the strings and tuning pins. That's just for the
new pin block and strings.

Now lets talk about the action, the finish, tunings, etc....

Quote the customer close to $3000 to restore his upright, and lets how
attached he is to his "sentimental" piano.

Willem Blees