!!RE: Need tech/shipping advice

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:18:45 -0500

Lance,
I do it because it seems to help maintain the regulation of the piano
better. Also, I do think it protects key bushings and action centers a bit.
Maybe it is because I have to do so much repair work on pianos shipped into
the airbase. Sheppard is a big training base and the school of Clean & Jerk
Piano Moving is headquartered here. BTW, there will be two classes on moving
pianos at the KC convention-(shameless plug!)

Best,
Dale
Dale Probst
Assistant Institute Director
PTG Annual Convention
Kansas City--July 21-25,1999
wardprobst@cst.net
(940)691-3682 voice
(940) 691-6843 fax
http://www.ptg.org/1999/conv/

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Lance Lafargue
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 1999 8:21 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Need tech/shipping advice

> Yes, you should tie down the action as much as possible for a trip that
long.
> You might also want to see if there is a capstan screw on top of the
hammer
> rail that can be turned up into the pin block. All of this will keep the
> action, and the parts, from shifting around.
>
> Willem Blees.

Wim,
Why?  I understand why to secure the capstan to hold the action, but what
happens or may happen to hammers moving on their sides, keys moving, etc?
Does anyone know for sure? Maybe it's like being told to not drink milk
with fish.......or toss salt over your shoulder if you spill it, etc.
LANCE LAFARGUE, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANO SERVICES
New Orleans Chapter
Mandeville, LA.
II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II
lafargue@iamerica.net

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to
make them all yourself."

lafargue@iamerica.net