Destroying Old Pianos

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 20:07:00 +1000

----------
From: Bdshull@AOL.COM
"but I want to HEAR the PSOs CRASH on the
HARD PAVEMENT. "

So do I Bill. It brings to mind a customer who scavenged a piano from the
rubbish dump and took it home. It was eventually loaned to a local Jazz
Festival for a weekend........guess who was the "officail festival tuner"
......yup!

The brief was "if it's at pitch and all the notes work, I don't care what
happens afterwards"
The piano had spent two years in an aircraft hanger, grass growing through
the bottom, every note totally seized. I emptied a can of silicon spray into
it (this was 15 years ago, when I didn't know what I do now!) and ripped it
up to pitch a few times..........it survived the Jazz Festival (isn't it
amazing what trad jazz players will put up with?) but when the owner was
returning the piano to the hanger at the airport in a 6' x 4' trailer he hit
a largish pothole in the road, the trailer bounced and came back down, the
piano remained airborne long enough for the trailer to drive away from under
it and landed on the road...........match wood and the biggest bang!

The owner said he couldn't help but sit on the side of the road laughing
holding his sides for at least 10 minutes. It wasn't only the sight of the
piano but the faces of the motorists passing by not knowing what these bit
of wood and junk had been and wondering why this guy was laughing so hard!

The piano finally got to _stay_ at the tip this time!

And of course the moral is............?

Mark Bolsius
Canberra Australia

See y'all in KC!