Broken Keys - Kevlar or Carbon fiber?If so, I would like to hearabout your experiences.Thanks,BIll SimonPhoenix

Joseph Alkana jfa19@IDT.NET
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:47:10 -0400 (EDT)

At 08:10 AM 4/20/99 -0700, you wrote:

>BSimon1234@AOL.COM wrote:
>
>> Has anyone out there gone hi-tech and used kevlar or boron or carbon fiber
>> patches on the sides of keys broken at the balance rail hole?
>>
>> If so, I would like to hear about your experiences.

List,
I'm sure this has been covered many times before, I just don't recall seeing
it, but...what is so wrong about just using CA glue to fix the key? Just
yesterday I used CA to reinforce a cracked but not quite broken thru  area
around the balance rail hole. First I sealed the end grain as best as I
could with one round of glue, then liberaly filled the area again and gave
it a shot with the accelerater. I seriously doubt that key will break apart
at the glue joint. So my point is, why all the fuss about using other glues,
reinforcements and other methods more suitable for earlier decades. Does the
vast majority out there think CA glue is a shlock repair or something?

Just wondering,

Joseph Alkana