Destroying Old Pianos

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:52:21 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/99 7:03:14 AM !!!First Boot!!!, JTTUNER@webtv.net
writes:

<< When an old piano is beyond repair, how do you advise the customer to
 get rid of it?  Is it safe for a customer to tear it apart on their own?

 Jim

I wouldn't recommend telling a customer to take the strings off, or even
remove the plate from the back assembly. But you can suggest that loose case
parts can be made into coffee tables, legs into lamps, and they can save the
hinges, if they are into such a thing.

Most of the time the piano belonged to a deceased relative. So I tell them
that I have been authorized to give a piano last rites, and I recommend that
they do the same thing to the piano that they did to the deceased relative,
and give it a decent burial.

Willem Blees