Re: Broken Keys - Kevlar or Carbon fiber?If so, I would like to hearabout your experiences.Thank s,BIll SimonPhoenix

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:16:17 -0400

For keys broken at the balance rail hole, the most appropriate patch would
be carbon fiber on the top of the key.  Kevlar is tough, but not as stiff,
and boron is dangerous to work with.

Reinforcement on the side of the key would not be as effective.  If you
don't believe me, break a wooden yardstick.  Repair the break with duct
tape applied only to one flat side.  Hold the yardstick with the tape on
top.  Notice that the repair holds.  Now try holding the yardstick with the
repair on the side or the bottom.

Same principle for key repair.

Frank Weston