Rebuilding a Kimball grand...

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 07:30:16 -0400

Hi List,

All the recent "Kimball" discussion got me to thinking...

A few years ago, a Kimball grand came into our shop to be =
"reconditioned".  It was about a 5' 10" ? or so, I don't remember =
exactly.  But it was a nice piano in a lot of ways.

One of the places they 'cut corners' was in the case, and supporting =
framework.  It was amazing to me to see that there were absolutely no =
support beams.  It was completely open underneath.  It was in my opinion =
one of the weakest points of the construction.  It seemed to have a =
pretty nice action, a fair sound, and a nice looking case.  But I =
suspect it wouldn't be very stable.?

My question for you is:  Have any of you ever taken a piano like this =
and made the appropriate support beams and fit them to the rim and belly =
rail?  I know it's beyond the scope of most, but I had thought about =
doing it if I ever had the piano that might warrant that kind of =
modification, whatever it might be.

Been down that road?  I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Hope you're all having a great day!

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.