even tone?

Ola Andersson o-anders@online.no
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:01:44 +0000

Stephen Birkett skrev:

>  On some period pianos the different registers are
> incredibly different in character ...

> By comparison, on a modern piano there is
> little perceived tonal change as you play this scale passage. All relative
> of course.

Register is a very importent thing in instrumentation (arranging music).
An easy way to see different registers in a instrument is to look at the score.Notes
that are in the 5 lines are middle section, under the 5 lines is a low and soft part
and over the 5 lines are high and hard part. This differens a little for different
instruments. Pianos have to score though (5+5 lines).My experince is when builders
are making intruments "better" they take away "weaknesses" that made the instrument
play. My self I play an old Fenderbass and Doublebass with old gutstrings. They are
"bad" at the right place.

> It makes no sense to me to play Beethoven on a Steinway

I canīt get the modern grand sound to mix with the stringorchestra. I beleave that
instruments have been modernised away from each other in the 20 century, getting
more invidual. For me oboe , violin, flute, trompet, pianos and so on,  sounded more
the same in the 18th and 19 century. Like early records were all instrumens mix and
modern recordings were you are supposed to hear everything. Do you understand what I
mean. I would like to be able to play Beethoven though.

I would like a input on the last one (not my playing).

Ola Andersson
Bergen, Norway