wippen heel cushion

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 20:18:17 -0400

Then if the 'line of centers' (my usage) is correct, then I would go
with a dense-type action cloth in the notch and leather to cover
rather than replace the whole shootin' match with felt.  Avoid the
sanding procedure, same time frame, less fudging, no jigs.

Restoration is part and parcel of the game.  Where definite improvements
can be made, they should.  But if by restoring the original components the
'peroidness' is carried on.    Steven and Anne can attest to this.

There's a difference between rebuilding and restoring.
I suppose one could restore with improvements, but one must be extremely
careful
for period instruments.   Sometimes improving is detrimental.

Now that that's squared away,  what's the winning Powerball
Number for next week?

Jon Page

At 06:41 PM 4/18/99 -0500, you wrote:

>>So I wouldn't sand the surface flush to avoid underfelt. Afterall, it will
not
>>introduce that much absorbsion for the style of playing which will be done
>>on this piano. Wait, that was leather over felt, not a notch for the
underfelt
>>. . . correct?
>>
>>But you get the picture    :-)
>>
>>Jon Page
>>

>Hi Jon,
>The underfelt is in a notch, covered over the top with leather. Total
>thickness of underfelt and leather is very close to the thickness of the
>single layer of action cloth I could replace them with, hence the need for
>sanding flush if I go that way. Yes, I'll check the thickness in the action
>before I commit. I'm glad someone's keeping an eye on me. %-)
>
>Thanks,
> Ron

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)