wippen heel cushion

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 18:08:11 -0400

This is a good point in time to consider the 'height' of the cushion support.
That is, with the key half way down (3/16" drill bit on punching and a weight
on the key) a line (string) drawn between the bottom of the b/r hole to the
wippen flange center intersects the contact point of the capstan/cushion.

On the few S&S angled capstan/cushion executions I've measured, the
line intersects the front of the capstan crown with the key at rest and the
line
intersects the back of the crown with the key fully depressed. So at half-way
it would be in the center of the crown.

I look for this line whenever I investigate an action's operation.

So I wouldn't sand the surface flush to avoid underfelt. Afterall, it will not
introduce that much absorbsion for the style of playing which will be done
on this piano. Wait, that was leather over felt, not a notch for the underfelt
. . . correct?

But you get the picture    :-)

Jon Page

At 03:17 PM 4/18/99 -0500, you wrote>
>>What tpye of leather?   Backcheck?   Thickness?
>>Is this ah, like, a really old Knabe?
>>
>>I would tend to use action cloth for quietness
>>sans underfelt for firmness.
>>
>>Jon Page
>>

>Wm Knabe sn 48530 - previous millinium survivor, leather (buckskin, like
>backcheck) about .050", underfelt about the same. The heels are cut for the
>underfelt, but it wouldn't be any real trouble to delete that part with a
>touch to the disc sander. It wasn't particularly loud with the
>leather/underfelt combination and it looks like it will take about the same
>time and end up a similar thickness either way. Well, probably a little
>quicker with the cloth. I may have to flip a coin.
>
> Ron

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)