Serious question, lightly asked

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 09:04:33 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Jim,
Since I don't have any real information here, perhaps you'd suffer some
distilled conclusions (as opposed to verifiable ones).

>Et Al;
> One of the most common descriptions of grands is the term "baby grand". We
>say it, salesmen say it, customers say it, manufacturers don't often say it
>though :-)

* First off, I don't use the term, and I tell people who ask that it's a
generic term for describing a three legged piano.

>1. Where did/does the name come from?
* Marketing. It's easier to sell a "warm and fuzzy" than a linear
measurement, and "everyone" loves a baby. It's an appeal to the glands,
rather than the intellect.

>2. What does/did it mean?
* A three legged piano that needs a little marketing spin.

>3. Were/are Wurlitzer Butterfly and Kimball LaPetite "baby grands"?
* Absolutely, as are Baldwin, Starr, Steinway, Knabe, Brambach,
Mason&Hamlin, etc.

>4. Is a five foot grand a "baby grand".
* Not really. It's a five foot grand, but it will be called a baby grand by
nearly everyone.

>5. Is a seven foot grand a "baby grand"?
* No, but it will also be called a baby grand by nearly everyone. The
difference I've seen to indicate size is that people include the length or
expected usage with the term. - parlor baby grand - seven foot baby grand -
concert baby grand -

>6. At what size is a grand no longer a "baby"?
* When it's reduced to pieces shorter than 18".

>Jim Bryant (FL)

* I hope this clears up some of the confusion surrounding this term. I do so
love to help.
 Ron