Serious question, lightly asked

Bill Kidd bkidd@tilc.com
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 23:15:28 -0700

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> Et Al;
>  One of the most common descriptions of grands is the term "baby grand". We
> say it, salesmen say it, customers say it, manufacturers don't often say it
> though :-)
>
> 1. Where did/does the name come from?
> 2. What does/did it mean?
> 3. Were/are Wurlitzer Butterfly and Kimball LaPetite "baby grands"?
> 4. Is a five foot grand a "baby grand".
> 5. Is a seven foot grand a "baby grand"?
> 6. At what size is a grand no longer a "baby"?
> Jim Bryant (FL)

Page 3 of A. Reblitz "Piano Servicing, Tuining, & Rebuilding" Eighth
printing states that 5'8" or smaller is considered a Baby. I wont detail
the other deminsions mentioned, because many on the list probably have
the book.

Also, on page 1 he has a picture of a "square grand" which someone stated
earlier is not a grand and is actually rectangular.
Bill Kidd
bkidd@tilc.com