Just a question about Freedom of speech on this list

Rolland Miller rsmiller1@mediaone.net
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 22:42:33 -0400

Hello list,
I want to respond to the remark just below, which is a quote from Jim's complete
post, and in particular the word "jokingly".
Humor can be a very useful tool in avoiding confrontation.  It almost never hurts
any one unless it is hostile and it seems to have
the capacity to relieve stress.  A good "rule of thumb" that I have come to use
is; "Humor is our best friend and anger is our worst enemy".  I don't know that
this is true in absolute terms, but  is a useable "tool" when things get
irritating which they do at times for all of us.  Another "rule" might be;
"expect to be irritated every 5 minutes and you won't be disappointed".  If you
can accept that "rule" in a humorous manner then a lot of the irritations that we
deal with daily can be seen as  average.  That is it is average to have
differences of opinion, average to interpret rules differently, etc.  The test of
the above "rules" is not in whether or not  they are true, which I believe we
have no way of proving or disproving, but rather will they take some of the
stress out of our lives, leaving more time and energy available to further our
personal goals such as improving our business, etc.
Jim, thanks for bringing up the subject of  humor in the word "jokingly".  Humor
isn't silly.  It has a very valuable function and rarely distracts us from things
that are really important.
Rolland Miller, MPT/PTG

Jim's remark,
"When a group of professionals cannot jokingly discuss a bonafide subject on
a professional forum without being criticized, where is the "freedom of
speech"?"