lubricant

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:55:11 EDT

In a message dated 4/16/1999 2:44:53 PM, teeray@rmi.net wrote:

<<Could someone describe to me what verdigris is?>>

teeray@rmi.net;
  Since you copied a response of mine I will attempt a coherent answer :-)

"Verdigris" is  a green waxy build up as evidenced on action
centers/pins/flanges bushing cloth. The buildup of this substance eventually
causes problems in repetition/regulation/playing. The definiton of "Verdigris
is : "A green patina or crust of copper sulfate or copper chloride" In pianos
this sulfate/chloride is normally accompanied by a waxy substance.

  The cause in pianos ??????  There has never been a definitive answer, or
one that I am aware of.  The problem seems to be worse in centers/flanges
that have been treated in some manner with an organic substance such as
parrafin/mineral spirits, etc.

  Whether or not CLP "cleans" the verdigirs from the pin or "lubricates the
tight spot(s)" is mostly an unanswerable question because to tell for sure
you must pull the pin and that will destroy any evidence.
There have been some reports of CLP causing brass fixtures to turn green.

teeray@rmi.net there are quite a number of posts pertaining to verdigris in
the archives and I think a trip there would prove worthwhile.
Jim Bryant (FL)