Just a question about Freedom of speech on this list

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 22:46:09 +0200

Dear pianotech colleagues,

I would like "speak" about the following :
As far as my shallow brain capacity allows me, I understand that there are
certain rules in regard to this pianotech list.
These rules are there for (to me) obvious reasons, it is necessary to, as a
group, behave in a
certain way so that members of that group will be able to communicate with
each other in such a way that nobody 's feelings and principles will get
hurt or violated.
It is just like living in a so called "free" society, except, that in any
free  society, all members must behave conform the rules, or laws, made by
all in a Democratic way.
Freedom of speech is an example of a healthy society (this is my personal
opinion, I was brought up in a Democracy).
For instance, in London, there is a place which the locals call the
"speakers corner".
Anybody there has the right to express his views and opinions, and many do
so when
they feel that urge and also In my country, everybody can speak out his or
her opinion at any public place, as long as he/she doesn't bother other
members of the society by for instance shouting through the night so that
others can't sleep.
Another example : sometimes I, or others, forget that there are subscribers
to the pianotech list who do not like the use of "certain" words readable
for all in this public piano forum. That is sometimes unavoidable, we are
all different and come from different "cultures".
But, whether they like it or not, the offenders will most certainly be
warned by
those who felt abused by the language used. It is an automatism and usually
this works perfectly in a democratic and natural situation.
Now, if I strongly wanted to continually use abusive language anyway, than I
surely
would be asked by many to get off this list and start my own forum. See...
very
humanly natural, and thus very democratic.
However, if I chose to stay and continue to use foresaid language, no matter
the serious objections of the majority, I than would become a blemish in the
"group", a dictator, somebody who dictates his/her will to others.

Any normally "intelligent" person will have had history class during the
educational process at school. The history lessons can be fun and
interesting, amongst others because they show us clearly that throughout the
history of mankind there have been numerous dictators, who at a given moment
took power and
from then on dictated their laws and rules to others....... with less power.
It is even more fun to discover that in >> all << cases, those dictators
always,
after a shorter or a longer period of time, lost their power because the
majority in the (sometimes bitter) end always wins.
Generally speaking, dictators are a bad example of humankind (or kind
humans)...they always cause grieve and suffering and they mostly always are
more or less blind to their psychotic behaviour.
This is a simple, but practical explaination of how people "can behave"
and "can not" behave (at least that is how I see it, being a simpleton
despite my history class).

Now...
The main point behind my rumblings :
if any pianotech subscriber wishes to express an opinion about a piano, than
it would seem to me that this is here, on this respected international piano
forum, a perfect example of freedom of speech.
If no profane language has been used, and no persons have been attacked
openly and/or in a nasty way, than what objections could we have against the
discussion about whatever
concerns  pianos?

I feel that we should be free to express our thoughts about for instance the
quality of any given instrument. It should not matter whether my opinion is
negative or positive, this is something we can all discuss, and that is one
of the purposes of this list...to discuss and thereby learn from many
others, what they feel and think about the subjects of our mutual
profession... isn't that interesting, entertaining, and wonderful free
education too?
If I really don't like a certain piano, should I be afraid to use its name
because somebody on the list will get angry for personal or whatever
reasons?
When I venture my professional thoughts and I "obey" the rules of this
forum,
should I only write about piano parts, but never openly speak about the
instrument to which they belong? never mention any name?
If I don't like a badly fabricated and cheap piano, and I openly give my
opinion about it, should I subsequently put on my "flamesuit" or even
unsubscribe and change my email address because somebody dictates that we
should only say positive words about pianos?

Very early in life, and especially during history class, I must have gotten
a "dis"taste of dictators.

Friendly greetings to all non-dictators

Antares