Yamaha GP hammers

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:48:27 -0500

Yo Mark,
So can the wood rail be replaced with the metal rail?
Dale

Dale Probst
Assistant Institute Director
PTG Annual Convention
Kansas City--July 21-25,1999
wardprobst@cst.net
(940)691-3682 voice
(940) 691-6843 fax
http://www.ptg.org/1999/conv/

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Mark Wisner
Sent: Friday, April 16, 1999 12:43 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Yamaha GP hammers

Yamaha has pre-hung hammers for almost all the grand pianos with metal
hammer rails.  The exceptions are the pianos with a 29 note bass section,
(G1A, G1B, G1D, G2A, G2B and G2D).  Since the shank flanges for Yamahas with
wood hammer rails are different from the metal hammer rail flanges, a metal
rail, pre-hung set can't be used on a wood rail piano.  UNLESS the new,
pre-hung set flanges are changed to the wood rail flanges taken off the old
set.  The flange type is the only difference, the shanks, hammers and bore
distances are identical.  While you do end up with old flanges on new shanks
and hammers, (not the ideal, to be sure) it seems to work well as the
flanges are pretty long-lived, and most of us techs can re-pin a set of
flanges a lot faster than we can hang a set of hammers.  The only
information we need is the number of bass notes and the bore distance of a
hammer from both the bass section and the treble section.  BTW, Schaff
stocks the full line of Yamaha hammers!
.  Hope this information helps.

Mark Wisner
Yamaha