Shape of things to come?

Woodrow, John (Parramatta) John.Woodrow@pil.com.au
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:22:39 +1000

Hi Ed,
John writes:
>> for me the outstanding feature of the CD is the
>>clear and different key color of the various pieces.  I assume that this
>>was the aim of the CD, and IMO it succeeds in demonstrating the key
>>colors that a Well Temperament offers.

Ed replied:

as you astutely observe,  the choice of the four sonatas was done mainly
by their key signature,  with chronology, and my personal preferance
thrown in the mix.  I was keenly aware of how certain keys sounded when
following anothers, and this order was meant to take the noviate
listener on a harmonic journey that would somehow be cohesive, yet still
adventurous enough to be of continuing pleasure.  It is a "sampler" of
the keys.
   I may have made a mistake leading off with something as heavy as the
"Pathetique", but I wanted to open the door with a decisive departure
from
our tonal landscape. That middle Ab section demonstrates the use of a
full
comma in the harmony to create the unrelenting tension I thought LVB may
have intended for this mvt.
<

Ed, a suggestion.  On hearing the CD I immediately looked to the back of
the box and then through the documentation to check out the key of
particular pieces.  Couldn't find the information I wanted.  I have been
using the Kellner Temperament for a time now and I like to think my ear
is getting pretty tuned in to key 'color'.  Hearing the piece and then
checking to see if my guess at the key was close would be the ultimate
proof to myself.

For example the heavy passages of the Moonlight Sonata, man are they
just the darkest and then the contrast of light of the 'sunrise' to me
is outstanding.  I have heard this piece a thousand times in ET and it
did not move me as much as your CD.  Am I imagining it when I explain
the difference as the use of an unequal temperament?

Having a written explanation of the tonal shifts to compare again what
my ears are telling me would be fantastic.  If you could find the time
to document what is happening from a tonal perspective, I am sure I
would not be alone in being very appreciative.

Seeing its a Friday and I am feeling mischievous: I believe in as little
as 15 years time at least 50% of pianos will be tuned in a temperament
other than ET (talk about poking the proverbial hornets nest with a
stick).  That should focus the discussion off personalities and back to
piano related business.

Regards,
John Woodrow,
Sydney Australia

P.S.  Sorry about the plug for 'the other mob'.  Thought they were just
another distributor you were using.