O.K. how about another one!?!

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:29:09

Hi Greg,
       If you replace the flanges, you will still have to size and repin,
or else the pin will be loose in the shank and walk out, you will also have
to do a significant amount of traveling with the new flanges. With new pins
you will not have the plating problem to deal with, and reaming takes care
of any debris in the bushing cloth. If you are going the shank replacement
route, that would be a whole new different story. If the customer is hell
bent on spending, install the pre hung hammer/shank sets, if the piano has
been heavily played for 20yrs it probably needs it.
Yamaha's engineering is so good, that you can install, regulate, and voice
a set in half a day.
One cautionary note, if the customer likes the tone the way it is, hammer
replacement can be a mine field.
Just adding to the confusion.
Roger