Cyber ears

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 13:53:29 -0700

Richard Brekne wrote:

> ...What I am proposing leaves all
> the decicion making to you, would simply re-enforce and for that matter help build your
> aural skills with out costing an arm and a leg, and without taking up very much space.

Richard,

The beauty of RCT, IMO, is that it does so much of the decision making
for you and does it so well, leaving you to sit back and make the
overall, artistic judgments. If you look at an RCT tuning in the graph
window, it is very smooth - it keeps everything in perspective. An aural
tuning, recorded and displayed as a graph, jumps above and below the
line since it is "buffeted" by individual interval tests.

When I started using RCT and became confident of its abilities, I
thought that I had given myself a promotion to Tuning Supervisor and
that I no longer had to do the work of testing each note. I only had to
choose what kind of octave stretch will work in a given situation,
decide if I like how the bass/tenor break is managed and spot check
every so often as I go. Once you learn how to get the machine to do what
you as an aural tuner do, it just does the job and rarely should you
need to do any retuning.

The amazing thing about having this machine is that my aural skills have
improved and not atrophied. I can tune the extreme bass and treble areas
much better than before and I've learned that it's important to
establish an overall tuning plan that works (macroscopic view) rather
than going from note to note in a microscopic fashion. Best of all, my
ear/brain aparatus is not overtaxed by doing so many "manual" tunings
and I actually feel like playing the piano when I return home.

Concerning the cost, I still have both arms and both legs. To quote
LaRoy Edwards: if you have the right tool, the customer pays for it. If
you don't, you pay for it.

Yes, it is expensive (compared to, say, a tuning hammer) but if it's
worthwhile...

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT