Cyber ears

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:39:13 -0500

root wrote:

>Ok, cyber tuner doesn't use f(n)=55*2^(1/12)^n, but measures inharmonicities.
>But does it also register beats themselves, or use absolute frequencies?
>
>(I haven't tried rct, because it's what $800?)
>
>josefus.

I am not familiar with your use of the term "absolute frequencies."
However, to answer the question that I believe you are asking:

The tuning calculator of RCT, called Chameleon, calculates a tuning by
choosing a frequency at which to tune one partial of each note of the
piano. That said, Chameleon collects enough data from the piano that is
knows the the beat rates of some "selected" intervals, assuming that the
human tuner actually executes the calculated tuning accurately. RCT
"knows", for example, many of the beat rates between the A's of the
piano, and, for another example, can directly tune the 3:2 fifths that
straddle A4 and the 6:3 octaves that straddle A3. The human tuner can
tweak the calculated tuning in the RCT interface by punching in desired
beat rates between the A's.

Kent Swafford