Heavy action on Steinway "L"

Vince Mrykalo Vince@byu.edu
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:27:50 -0600

The hammers are too heavy for the leverage of the action.  Either lighten
up the hammers or change the leverage.  Changing leverage may be the better
way to go, but is very involved.  You can only go so far by lightening the
hammers, and it may be you won't be able to go far enough.  You will need
to go far enough to be able to remove lead from the keys, but then you may
compromise tone by going too light.  By up and downweight measurements, you
will be able to see if the problem is excess friction.  The only course
left is to change the action leverage.

Vince Mrykalo
vince@byu.edu