A Matter of Attitude (was Re: low quality, and high quality)

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 00:32:45 -0400

Isn't our *bottom line* the essence of the Japanese proverb:

Promote happiness.  The money will follow.

I think the question is now where we feel most comfortable promoting the
happiness.  There are technicians who prefer rural livingrooms over big
city concert stages.  And there are concert techncians who enjoy the
occassional livingroom, and so on.

I for one love working on concert stages, especially in historic theatres
... but one of my favorite clients is a very poor family with what is
probably the worst piano in my customer base.  They knew from the start
that it was the cheapest of the cheap, but it was what they could afford.
I've always done what I could for that thing to make it workable for an
unusually talented son to practice on without blowing out the family
budget.  The other day I got a message from the son -- he is "going for
broke" and getting a vastly superior piano, perhaps later this month.  His
question to me was would I continue being his technician?  Of course and
I'm flattered!

Z! Reinhardt RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net